Random, intermittent lag spikes in online gaming.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Random, intermittent lag spikes in online gaming.

Post by Carrie Akyla on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm running Windows 7. For the past month or two, I've been having intermittent lag/latency spikes in online games. My ping will suddenly skyrocket for just half a second, after which everything speeds up for a moment just to load what happened.

I noticed it on League of Legends and just chalked it up as their godawful servers, but I recently started playing Unreal Tournament 99 for some nostalgia, and it happens there, too - on every server I play on.

I know it's not my ISP, since I actually changed ISPs during this timeframe, which included a new modem, new router, new placement in the house, everything. It's functionally a completely different network, yet the problem is identical.

I've uninstalled every unneeded program I could think of, turned off nonessential services and startup programs, defragged, cleaned the registry, added speed tweaks to the registry, run antivirus and antimalware stuff, started using Razer Game Booster to make sure nothing unneeded is running, and updated every driver I could think of. Nothing seems to work.

I notice the lag usually comes when a lot of stuff is happening at once, logically, and I get no telltale freeze up of it being a memory or cpu problem. Do you guys know of anything that might help?

My adapter is a Ralink RT3090 802.11b/g/n wifi adapter. GPU is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200. Processor is an AMD Athlon II P320 dual core processor. 8 gigs of ram, too. 7.49 gigs usable.

I know it's not the best computer in this day and age, but I'm sure you'll agree it's plenty to run goddamn Unreal Tournament 99 without problems. =.=
Carrie Akyla
Mission God
Mission God

Money/Ryo : 1876100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Random, intermittent lag spikes in online gaming.

Post by bloody_thunder on Wed May 08, 2013 5:41 pm

have you tried replacing the graphics card

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linier, non subjective point of view it is more like a big ball of wibbily wobbly timey wimey...stuff

doctor who
bloody_thunder

Money/Ryo : 67000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrie Akyla on Wed May 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Lol, I already solved the problem. It was the Enable DNS Relay setting in my router. I unticked that, instantly problem solved.
Carrie Akyla
Mission God
Mission God

Money/Ryo : 1876100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum