» One Piece Pirate Nation
Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:34 pm by Violet

» ZapdosZulu, pokemon RP
Wed May 13, 2015 6:15 pm by Guest

» Fragmented Worlds
Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:46 am by Guest

» Digital Link
Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:56 pm by Guest

» Noveltellus: Elemental Dragon Bonding, and More!
Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:24 am by Guest

» Mirage Hearts
Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:16 am by Guest

» Will of the Flame
Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:40 pm by Guest

» Naruto:Secrets of the Hidden Village
Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:44 pm by Kotetsu

© Copyright
RPG Haven 2011-2013
Owner - Haven Admin

Creations, posts, ideas, and information from this site are copyrighted to their respective creators and owners. Content may not be taken or used without their permission. Violation of this rule is considered plagiarism.
© All Rights Reserved.

Creative Commons License
RPG Haven is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

RPGH Button:

Our Affiliates:
  Soul Eater RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic Break The Chains Custom/Canon DC/Marvel roleplay
image jpg 1072-280 YPRPG T-Rⁿ/MoE Photobucket Fairytail Serenety TheextensionsRP

Halloo

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Halloo

Post by Worth on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello everybody, I'm a newbie (who is terrible with introductions, my apologies).

My name is Aeiou; I'm a first-time roleplayer who enjoys writing and doodling, and am a complete audiophile. I love a variety of music, from swing to electronic, and I can't exactly pinpoint what it is that I listen to the most. I've had a lot of practice rp-ing with friends in small text adventure games, but nothing as extensive as a full-fledged forum rpg. So this looks like a nice start!

I normally enjoy playing nonhuman characters, but for my first charrie I went for a human just to sort of ease into the setting. I'd love to get a thread started (if I get approved that is), and can't wait to roleplay with everyone here.

Now I'll just creep away slowly... thief
Worth

Money/Ryo : 133000

Character Profile
Ranks: Civilian
Statistics:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halloo

Post by Alpha Cygni on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:12 am

Oh well. There are actually fewer typos by volume compared to a lot of people I've RPed with, so you don't have much to worry about other than my Grammar Nazi habits. Content-wise, I just loved all the background detail - it's rare to see so much attention given to the NPCs and other little bits of fluff. I try, but a number of my posts end up hanging in a void anyway - too much dialogue, not enough description. You've got Vauxhall looking extra-gritty and that's not a bad thing.

What have you read so far? The backstory was made up for the lulz and is probably at least one-fifth lies in-universe, the weapons are a bunch of My Little Pony references, abilities were cooked up for the sake of trolling... but thanks. If you get any interesting alts up (and I'm sure you will), particularly the kind that would be welcome in Deion (with its new clean, high-tech aesthetic), a thread would be very welcome indeed.

(EDIT: I just realized this, but... now I know why I kept thinking "Edgeworth". Your character's first name is Edward... Edd Worth. Edgeworth. Oh, various gods.)

Profile | Abilities | Weapons | Miscellaneous
Theme Song: H8seed - Neverending Strife
Battle Theme: Eurobeat Brony - Discord (EuroChaos Mix)
"Hold on a second! Eternal chaos comes with chocolate rain, you guys. Chocolate rain!" -Pinkie Pie
"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE!" -Agatha Heterodyne

Important notice: From now on, Deneb will personally bitch-slap anyone who uses any form of the term "other dimension" where it should be "other universe", because the former is wrong.
Alpha Cygni
Master of Calibrations
Master of Calibrations

Money/Ryo : 8225945

Character Profile
Ranks: Country Leader
Statistics:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Worth on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Thank you again. I really wanted to bring in some exposition - the fact that he'd just moved in, that he wasn't in a very nice section of Vauxhall - but not outright state it, just bring in the visual. As for NPCs, I wanted to use them to establish the environment as well. The whole idea was just sort of nudge people into picturing the same idea (I get very nervous about having not explained a concept, so I tend to either repeat ad infinitum or pick out details to focus in on and see if that somehow helps.) Also I do like gritty areas, which is why I love Worth right now because I get to put him in very gritty areas without breaking character. It really helps me to dig into Haven's universe and unearth the awesome flaws that dwell beneath. I think dialogue, if it's done well, can lend its own descriptive purpose to a story, so as long as the point comes across, you're set. You've been roleplaying way longer than I have, and know how to interact with other player characters, which is definitely something I lack at the moment, not to mention doesn't help that I haven't replied to anyone yet.

Backstory-wise I enjoyed your description of the Omicron, how they tied in with the angels and demons and how Deneb got out of it. Weapons I hadn't read so much, but abilities? I particularly loved the royal Canterlot voice (maybe I'm just a sucker for pony references). That and the rather bizarre digestion system. I plan on making an alt based on Conrad from HINABN, last time I use a character from that webcomic as a face claim. Won't be a vampire I promise, but something growing terribly parasitic, though at first looks entirely normal. After that, maybe a kind of flying character with mechanical attachments (hasn't thought much about this yet, but this one would fit the most with a clean technology-based setting). Maybe one will make it to Deion? I would enjoy a thread someday.

You almost made me use the same smiley face again. Oh jeez...

"You don't want to hurt me,
But see how deep the bullet lies.
Unaware that I'm tearing you asunder.
There is thunder in our hearts, baby.
So much hate for the ones we love?
Tell me, we both matter, don't we?"

Theme Song. Bio.
Insturments. Sciences. Odds 'n Ends.

Worth

Character Profile
Statistics:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpha Cygni on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:10 pm

*just read the new batch of posts* Damn, that's fast - and aww, poor kitten. That part actually sounded unusually nice... Pet The Dog Cat, in the most literal sense of the trope? (Don't let this drag you back onto that site just yet!)

I do love worldbuilding - it's nearly all I do, on account of not being much of an active RPer - but "show, not tell" still takes more than a little practice. Other than Hannibal Lecturing characters in Discord's (borrowed) mocking troll-voice, I haven't posted much as of late, and rarely anything with enough background description. Most of my attempts to flesh things out involve the NPCs - giving them names and backstories, positions and influence that aren't always dependent on the presence of the PCs. As for the grit, either I'm just bad at it or spend too much time writing in the same aesthetic - barring the odd dose of steampunk, most of the scenarios I've written so far focus on clean, crisp, ultra-high-tech environments, mixed with magic here and there. I should probably diversify... eventually, when I can actually post more than once a day.

Ah, most of the weapons (and the Miscs) are along the lines of the Canterlot voice - equally blatant pony references, with a bit of Greek mythological naming for flavor. Almost exclusively Titans, actually. (Helios fires miniature suns and pairs nicely with Selene. Iris calls a rainbow beam down from the sky. If those aren't obvious enough...) The digestive system was a fun concept I never had the time to use, mildly inspired by Kirby. I'm going to add something that explains how an obsessive-compulsively filth-hating alien can afford to eat random things off the ground as ammo soon - a sanitizing shield.

Another Hanna faceclaim? That's all right - the art's good enough to justify borrowing more. There was one time I saw almost all of the actual canons around simultaneously on that other site, but that's different. A non-vampiric parasite sounds fun - although one who can't or won't control themselves (or go to a medical facility for immediate treatment, which is almost always supposed to be an option in this case) wouldn't do so well in Deion, except (with great difficulty) as an antagonist.

The other concept does sound as though it would be right at home there - although a lot of things are welcome as long as they don't make trouble. Ghosts, AI (the traditional sort or more magitech-flavored, both work), mythological creatures (as long as they don't break physics too hard)... it's actually supposed to be a bit of a strange place despite the futuristic architecture.

(P.S.: I know you said you're a bit awkward with chat-type conversations, but do you have Skype or any other IM client - if not, maybe email? This kind of talk tends to produce walls of text, and while we're both getting free money out of it, you probably shouldn't have more than 75% OOC posts the way I do. *shot*)

"Hold on a second! Eternal chaos comes with chocolate rain, you guys. Chocolate rain!" -Pinkie Pie
"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE!" -Agatha Heterodyne

Important notice: From now on, Deneb will personally bitch-slap anyone who uses any form of the term "other dimension" where it should be "other universe", because the former is wrong.
Alpha Cygni
Master of Calibrations
Master of Calibrations

Character Profile
Statistics:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Worth on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Too late. I already started browsing. But yeah, there was a reason for including the cat. (Worth is very fond of cats. In his profile it outright states that he used to own one.) I sort of derped around on that post though. I'm not used to just throwing up all this prose at one time, I guess.

Worldbuilding is so important to me. I need to make the setting work before I plunge a character into it, and I need to make sure they compliment each other. So I definitely agree with that, and also the fact that showing is much more difficult than telling. I slipped up on the second post and put in some telling, darn. NPC's are good, especially if they have more depth to them than "random bystander #1". I like seeing them react like their own seperate person. I find grit is easier to write if you just think about all the trash and what makes that place gritty. You can take a normally clean area (like Vauxhall) and start picking out some of the flaws (I chose the other end of the city, where the tech hasn't completely seeped through). Then just start having fun describing whatever lurks there. Also I honestly think it's better to post once a day than throw in five posts that weren't worked on very hard. Build up a flow and try to tie in each post with another so if someone were to read only the posts that you've applied, they'd still get the gist of what's going on. At least, I think that would be a good plan. Like I said, I'm a total newbie.

Yeah I thought the pony references were pretty well placed in terms of taste. Instead of blatantly throwing a pony into your abilities/weaponry you at least made it so that it fit in. I mean, I wouldn't want Pinkie Pie suddenly appearing as a summon, so I'm glad you just put in the traits of characters instead of the actual characters. Not a carbon clone. I really like Selene. The idea of using Nightmare Moon's traits into this weapon was interesting and tied in with the whole Luna theme. Also, Greek Mythology? Big plus.

My idea for the HINABN face claim may be for him to be this guy who accidentally ran into the path of a parasitic disease, which changes the physical/psychological aspects of a living being more into its image (starting with that little fang). Not sure exactly where to take it, but I could see there being a bit of a medical drama for him as he tries to use all these different prescriptions/operations and yet despite these medically advanced practices, he can't stop the influence of the thing that's infected him. Even as he resorts to less rational and more underworld solutions, such as illegal pieces and devices to try and quell it some more. Stuff like that. Not very developed with this concept yet.

Other idea I've developed a little more. Say, this creature with flight abilities begins to augment itself with mechanical attachments. It would be my first completely good character I think. He/She/It would be a showcased aerial advancement who also practices in pre-Haven archaeology, bringing in (and decontaminating) these projects of things that were found from Earth. Things that have been lost to human culture, such as old museum pieces and works of art ect. Most likely bird like, bipedal, not very smart but well-versed in human history.

(I can give out my Skype. I'll send you a PM with my Skype name.)

Theme Song. Bio.

Worth

Character Profile
Statistics:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpha Cygni on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:17 am

I just imagined him keeping Grumpy Cat as a pet...

Anyway, worldbuilding: I have several half-finished worlds and almost no actual narrative, although by half-finished, I mean the general frameworks (magic and technology, unusual geological features, and the like) are done and just missing the specifics... actual countries and their histories, myths and legends, the less-common political systems and economies, that sort of thing. The most developed of those started out as a simple idea: Mages using robot suits as channeling devices instead of wands. There's still a whole magical/steampunk hybrid structure sitting around there.

...well, that was massively off topic, so back to the actual RP scenario. I don't see all that many people focusing so much on the setting OR the NPCs, really, so your work is commendable. The grit... that does make sense, but in my case, my characters aren't usually the type who would willingly associate with those things. In Deion's case, alien hyper-efficiency is supposed to have thrown almost all the trash out - literally transformed it into new, clean things all across the board. Oh, did I say one post a day? Actually, I forgot to specify that on most days, that's my TOP speed. Right now, I can't even manage one post a week properly.

I *have* considered giving an AI this Twilight Sparkle as an avatar for quite some time, but I never did get around to writing that in. I'll probably still do that, though... along with using this for a certain mission NPC when I finally finish writing it. The cleaning barrier is somewhere in between a Material Emancipation Grid and Shining Armor's shield, so his cutie mark is the HUD icon. That's about as blatant as it gets, and I try to work everything into proper lore form.

Hmm. I think you should keep the infected character out of Deion if you want medical drama. The medical tech there extends to reconstructing entire bodies (as long as there's a working mind to upload), and one country defense will be designed as a massive extension of Deneb's Reality Field, which generally turns 'supernatural' entities into natural (that is, physical) ones. Makes the whole thing too easy for good plot.

The other one sounds perfect for the area (although the "good" comment immediately made me think of GLaDOS' "Bird! Bird! Kill it! IT'S EVIL." line). Cyborgs are supposed to make up most of the local population either way, and the presence of the Condemned's cult makes historical records... unreliable, at best, so a historian would be very valuable indeed. (An archaeologist would also get along well with Dalton if I ever revive him; he doesn't study ancient things academically, but he does use art as a means to commemorate relics of the past.)

*These replies have been longer than most of my last posts. My block is THAT bad.*

Alpha Cygni
Master of Calibrations
Master of Calibrations

Character Profile
Statistics:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Worth on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:18 pm

...Why does that seem like it could actually happen?

I like that idea, with the mages using suits. Actually you seem to be very good with these worldbuilding concepts. I'm glad that you've taken such a time for getting one together. Developing worlds can take forever, so I tend to at least take note on how the society will work in setting. Not every detail would be completed, but enough to make things work together. I may or may not be repeating myself here but I prefer having as much environment that is integral to the plot completed before shoving the character into it.

It's a shame most people don't focus on the non-player elements. I mean, you're weaving a story, kind of like the text adventure games, where the concept is to throw things and drama into the players so that they can force through it and progress. Develop the character out more. Roleplaying is more about fleshing them out and having them interact with other characters, but there's still that need to fill in the blanks. I'm starting to think these adventure games and roleplaying are very similar to each other in this respect. As for cleanliness, I think a way to work around that is by describing what is appalling to your character and showing what it finds wrong with a room, rather than what it finds right. That way we're still showing grit, but you get the sense that other than a couple of things, your character has no tolerance for it. Could build up a conflict or humor that way too, I think.

I really like that Twilight AI avatar. That would be a pretty awesome character, even out of the MLP context. Referencing is okay to me. My own character uses a HINABN face claim and he does share some traits (cigarette smoking, coat, dark rims around the eyes and medical efficiency), but I try to keep him away from canon and bring him out into Haven's universe. You've done that quite well in my opinion. And you'd think it would be more difficult using ponies...

Alright, good plan. I'm not sure where he'd be, but I know I do need some horror-inspired medical dramas for this one, especially later on when things get mental. He might end up having to take that form of operation, thinking about what'll happen in the end, when parasites spread...

Yay then hopefully it'll show up there. (Either it's good or a killing machine, your choice.) I'm excited to develop on that one, start working on lore for its species and abilities. Flight is a definite, at any rate.

Woah. All I can recommend is trying to find some form of inspiration. On Skype I mentioned Zenwriter, which took out a nasty writer's block that I was going through and even got me into typing up a short story (that is extremely rare for me to do). Not sure what it is - probably a combination of the backgrounds and typing noises, which make me feel as though I'm using a typewriter - but it really helps me focus on the prose instead of being distracted by say, Tv Tropes. I also think visiting Writeworld once in a while will help (they have prompts and sentence starters) or trying FYCD to answer questions about your character and get a better mindset for how said character would react in different situations.

Theme Song. Bio.

Worth

Character Profile
Statistics:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpha Cygni on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 pm

Because it could, of course... and it really should, as soon as you get a new Misc slot.

True enough about the text adventures - once, I considered playing the GM/parser for a thread (outside of regular RP) that would work like, say, Zork... only in play-by-post format. That idea was mostly just forgotten, but on the other hand, I don't want to do ALL the writing in a thread either.

When it comes to things Deneb hates, there are quite a few... I always say it doesn't hate human/oids -as species-, but it does have a remarkably large capacity for contempt toward many, many individuals. In terms of the approach you described, it does that often enough with people and personality - not so much with the environment. I should work on that, now that you mention it. It hasn't been picky enough.

I have a tendency to make references nearly all the time... so by this point, I certainly hope I've learned to do them well.

Ah, strange possibly-alien parasites. The bane of everywhere else, because everywhere else isn't protected by decontamination fields all over the place.

Definitely no killing machines. We have enough of those on Haven - the place is crawling with them! Vicious psychopaths are like the local cockroaches.

I'm not sure what FYCD is, but I do know that in my case, block is temporary. It'll disappear soon enough... for a while, then return. Repeat ad nauseam until I finally manage to break it properly.

Alpha Cygni
Master of Calibrations
Master of Calibrations

Character Profile
Statistics:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:33 pm

Definitely no killing machines. We have enough of those on Haven - the place is crawling with them! Vicious psychopaths are like the local cockroaches.

Hi.

That is all, carry on.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Money/Ryo : 9000

Character Profile
Ranks: Guia
Statistics:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpha Cygni on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:19 am

Lance, you're one of the older ones, if I'm not mistaken... and one of the good ones. Gets you a free pass. Everyone else... isn't so lucky.

Alpha Cygni
Master of Calibrations
Master of Calibrations

Character Profile
Statistics:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt Rawson on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:02 am

Alpha Cygni wrote:

I hope it is not me you are referring to here.....

I may be violent, but I am pretty sure I am not a killing machine..... Kurt hasn't killed a single guy on Haven yet, unless he was told to do so in missions, or compelled to......

Unless you are counting Galvy's minions. They're dead anyways, so can I even kill them?

Kurt Rawson, Bringer of Justice, leader of Forge.

Kurt- Armor Form
Spoiler:

Kurt Rawson
Haven's Pyromaniac
Haven's Pyromaniac

Money/Ryo : 264200

Character Profile
Statistics:

View user profile http://lifetheuniverseandeverything2.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down